|author||Tom Ryder <email@example.com>||2019-06-11 11:59:54 +1200|
|committer||Tom Ryder <firstname.lastname@example.org>||2019-06-11 11:59:54 +1200|
|parent||Merge branch 'release/v5.37.0' (diff)|
|parent||Bump VERSION (diff)|
Merge branch 'release/v5.38.0'v5.38.0
* release/v5.38.0: Update vim-toggle-flags plugin to v3.1.0 Update vim-strip-trailing-whitespace to v3.2.0 Update vim-squeeze-repeat-plans to v0.6.0 Update vim-keep-position to v0.3.0 Allow -bar in custom commands Mention the sources of a few mapping commands Arrange for :PutDate maps to accept line numbers Completely refactor vimrc/filetype reloading Check correct scope for filetype load guard var
8 files changed, 69 insertions, 66 deletions
@@ -1,2 +1,2 @@
-tejr dotfiles v5.37.0
-Mon Jun 10 22:45:19 UTC 2019
+tejr dotfiles v5.38.0
+Mon Jun 10 23:59:54 UTC 2019
diff --git a/vim/bundle/keep_position b/vim/bundle/keep_position
diff --git a/vim/bundle/squeeze_repeat_blanks b/vim/bundle/squeeze_repeat_blanks
diff --git a/vim/bundle/strip_trailing_whitespace b/vim/bundle/strip_trailing_whitespace
diff --git a/vim/bundle/toggle_flags b/vim/bundle/toggle_flags
diff --git a/vim/plugin/put_date.vim b/vim/plugin/put_date.vim
index 29cf886e..0828abe4 100644
@@ -7,5 +7,5 @@ let loaded_put_date = 1
" RFC-2822 date string, using the system strftime() implementation. Allow it
" to accept a range which defaults to the current line.
-command! -range PutDate
+command! -bar -range PutDate
\ <line1>put =strftime('%a, %d %b %Y %T %z')
diff --git a/vim/plugin/utc.vim b/vim/plugin/utc.vim
index 39eebad8..8fb84890 100644
@@ -27,5 +27,5 @@ endfunction
" The :UTC command itself completes another command name, and accepts one
" required argument, which it passes in quoted form to the helper function.
-command! -complete=command -nargs=1 UTC
+command! -bar -complete=command -nargs=1 UTC
\ call s:UTC(<q-args>)
@@ -132,68 +132,61 @@ endif
filetype plugin indent on
-" If this file or the vimrc stub that calls it is sourced, whether because of
-" the above hook, or the <Leader>R mapping prescribed later in this file, add
-" a hook that re-runs filetype detection and thereby ftplugin loading. This
-" is chiefly so that any global options set in this file don't trample over
-" needed buffer-local settings.
-" We'll abstract this away a bit behind a new user command named
-" FileTypeReload, which just re-runs BufRead events for filetype detection if
-" they've been loaded.
-function! s:FileTypeReload() abort
- if exists('did_load_filetypes')
+" There are a couple of contexts in which it's useful to reload filetypes for
+" the current buffer, quietly doing nothing if filetypes aren't enabled.
+" We'll set up a script-local function to do this, just to be tidy, which is
+" abstracted behind a simple user command of the same name.
+function! s:ReloadFileType() abort
+ if exists('g:did_load_filetypes')
doautocmd filetypedetect BufRead
+command! -bar ReloadFileType
+ \ call s:ReloadFileType()
-" The command accepts no arguments, and has no range. It just calls the
-" function; that's all. It's also used by the <Leader>F mapping defined later
-" in this file.
+" We'll also define a :ReloadVimrc command. This may seem like overkill at
+" first; surely just :source $MYVIMRC is good enough?
+" We're defining the command because of an edge case: if the vimrc stub or
+" main file is re-sourced, the global settings for options like 'expandtab'
+" and 'shiftwidth' may trample over different buffer-local settings that were
+" specified by filetype and indent plugins. To handle this, we'll define the
+" command to run :ReloadFileType after the vimrc file is sourced.
+" We can't put these two commands in a script-local function in the vimrc, in
+" order to be tidy like we did for :ReloadFileType above, because Vim would
+" get upset that we're trying to redefine a function as it executes!
+" Just to be on the safe side, we also suppress any further ##SourceCmd hooks
+" from running the :source command with a :noautocmd wrapper. This is
+" a defensive measure to avoid infinite recursion.
- \ call s:FileTypeReload()
+command! -bar ReloadVimrc
+ \ noautocmd source $MYVIMRC | ReloadFileType
-" Create a 'vimrc' automatic command hook group, if it doesn't already exist;
-" this group should only be used for command hooks related to this vimrc
+" Reset and define a group of automatic command hooks specific to matters
+" related to reloading the vimrc itself.
- " Clear away any automatic command hooks already defined within it if it
- " does. This way, we don't end up collecting multiple copies of the hooks
- " configured in the rest of this file if it's reloaded.
- " Now we'll use that new :FileTypeReload command as part of an automatic
- " command hook that runs whenever this vimrc is sourced.
- " If there's stuff in any of the filetype plugins that doesn't cope well
- " with being reloaded, and just assumes a single BufRead event, it might be
- " necessary to rewrite those parts to be idempotent, or to add load guards
- " around them so that they only run once.
+ " Reload the vimrc each time the stub vimrc or this vimrc are saved. This
+ " often makes errors in the file immediately apparent, and saves restarting
+ " Vim or running the :source command manually, which I almost always want to
+ " do, anyway.
- " Note that the SourceCmd event wasn't added until Vim 7.0.187, so we need
- " to check it exists first.
+ autocmd BufWritePost $MYVIMRC,$MYVIM/vimrc
+ \ ReloadVimrc
+ " If Vim is new enough (v7.0.187) to support the ##SourceCmd event for
+ " automatic command hooks, we'll also apply that to catch invocations of
+ " :source of either the stub or main vimrc, and translate that into sourcing
+ " the stub vimrc and reloading the filetype using our new command.
autocmd SourceCmd $MYVIMRC,$MYVIM/vimrc
- \ source <sfile> | FileTypeReload
- " If this file or the vimrc stub that calls it is written to by Vim, we'd like
- " to reload the stub vimrc and thereby the main vimrc, so that our changes
- " apply immediately in the current editing session. This often makes broken
- " changes immediately apparent. We can lean on the SourceCmd hook we just
- " established to do this; in fact, we'll only establish this hook if we can do
- " so, because otherwise filetype plugins won't reload, and options like
- " 'shiftwidth' might be set incorrectly.
- if exists('#vimrc#SourceCmd')
- autocmd BufWritePost $MYVIMRC,$MYVIM/vimrc
- \ doautocmd vimrc SourceCmd
+ \ ReloadVimrc
@@ -229,7 +222,7 @@ endfunction
" names as candidates, and specify that there must be only one argument, which
" we'll provide as a quoted parameter to the function.
-command! -complete=dir -nargs=1 Establish
+command! -bar -complete=dir -nargs=1 Establish
\ call s:Establish(<q-args>)
" Now that we have a clean means to create directories if they don't already
@@ -1293,12 +1286,12 @@ nnoremap <Leader>L
xmap <Leader>L <Esc><Leader>Lgv
" These mappings are for managing filetypes. The first one uses the
-" :FileTypeReload command that was defined much earlier in this file.for
-" a vimrc reload hook.
+" :ReloadFileType command that was defined much earlier in this file for
+" application in the vimrc reload command.
-"" Leader,F reloads filetype plugins
+"" Leader,F reloads filetype settings
- \ :<C-U>FileTypeReload<CR>
+ \ :<C-U>ReloadFileType<CR>
"" Leader,t shows current filetype
\ :<C-U>setlocal filetype?<CR>
@@ -1311,13 +1304,14 @@ nnoremap <Leader>T
"" Leader,d inserts the local date (RFC 2822)
- \ :<C-U>PutDate<CR>
+ \ :PutDate<CR>
"" Leader,D inserts the UTC date (RFC 2822)
- \ :<C-U>UTC PutDate<CR>
+ \ :<Home>UTC<End> PutDate<CR>
" This group contains mappings that are to do with file and path management
-" relative to the current buffer.
+" relative to the current buffer. The Leader,P mapping that creates
+" directory hierarchies uses the :Establish command created earlier.
"" Leader,g shows the current file's fully expanded path
@@ -1379,7 +1373,16 @@ nnoremap <Leader>E
-" Filtering and batch operations to clean up buffer text
+" This ground defines mappings for filtering and batch operations to clean up
+" buffer text. All of these mappings use commands from my custom plugins:
"" Leader,x strips trailing whitespace via a custom plugin
@@ -1458,14 +1461,14 @@ nmap <Leader>* <Plug>(RegexEscape)
xmap <Leader>* <Plug>(RegexEscape)
" And last, but definitely not least, I'm required by Vim fanatic law to
-" include a mapping that reloads my whole configuration. Doing this triggers
-" the #vimrc#SourceCmd hooks defined much earlier in the file so that
-" filetypes get reloaded afterwards, so I don't need to follow <Leader>R with
-" a <Leader>F.
+" include a mapping that reloads my whole configuration. This uses the
+" command wrapper defined much earlier in the file, so that filetypes also get
+" reloaded afterwards, meaning I don't need to follow <Leader>R with
+" a <Leader>F to fix up broken global settings.
"" Leader,R reloads ~/.vimrc
- \ :<C-U>source $MYVIMRC<CR>
+ \ :<C-U>ReloadVimrc<CR>
" I'll close this file with a few abbreviations. Perhaps of everything in
" here, I'm least confident that these should be in here, but they've proven